CAPO Girls Softball
2021 All Star Nomination and Selection Process
All Star General Information
All Star coaches will be announced on Sunday, April 25th. All Star players and teams will be announced on the Capo Girls website by 6:00am on Monday, May 3rd. Coaches submit interest forms for consideration, participate in an interview process with the Board of Directors and then are selected and approved by the Board of Directors. Once a coach is selected, he/she will have some ability to select a part of their team as described below.
It is the goal of the CAPO Board of Directors to field at least two All Star teams for the 8U, 10U, and 12U divisions. The first team selected in each division will be the Gold team followed by the selection of a Silver team. Pending player interest and ability, a second Silver team may be selected in any division with the consent of the coaches and with Board approval.
2021 All Star Application & Commitment Form
All Star Eligibility
The league requires that a parent or legal guardian completes the 2021 All Star Application & Commitment Form (click on link above) for their player to be eligible for selection. This form must be emailed to James Harris ([email protected]) and Tommy Haldorsen ([email protected]) by Thursday, April 15th. Players must be registered with Capo Softball and have played in at least 75% of Capo Softball Spring games. Players who have participated with a travel-type team after April 15th are ineligible for All Star play.
All Star Voting Process
On Sunday, April 25th, the Board of Directors will vote on and announce All Star coaches for each division. Per USA Softball rules, the All-Star players and teams will not be announced until Monday, May 3rd. The selection process for All Star players and teams is outlined below:
- There are NOT try-outs for All-Star teams. Instead, head coaches from each REC team are asked to watch players that demonstrate higher level of skill during all spring season games. In addition, an optional 8U All Star Showcase will occur on Sunday, May 2nd so that 8U players have an opportunity to showcase their skills.
On Sunday evening, May 2nd, All Star teams for the 8U, 10U and 12U divisions will be chosen. The process for that selection is as follows:
- Immediately following the April 15th deadline to submit All Star Application & Commitment Forms, each Spring Rec head coach from each division will receive a list of players from their respective division that submitted an All-Star Application and Commitment Form. All Spring Rec head coaches will have observed players from their own team and opposing teams during games since games began on March 6, 2021. In addition, coaches will have the list of players that submitted interest on April 15th so they can observe those players more closely for the remainder of the season. By Saturday, May 1st, all Spring Rec head coaches will assign points to all players that submitted interest forms as follows:
- Top 4 players in that coach’s division are assigned 6 points; the next 4 players are assigned 5 points; the next 4 are assigned 4 points; the next 4 are assigned 3 points; the next 4 are assigned 2 points; and 4 are assigned 1 point. All remaining players are assigned 0 points. If there are less than 24 players (between 20-23 players) that have submitted interest forms, then the allocation changes to: 3 players are assigned 6 points; the next 3 players are assigned 5 points, the next 3 are assigned 4 points; the next 3 are assigned 3 points; the next 3 are assigned 2 points; the next 3 are assigned 1 point; and any remaining are assigned 0 points.
- Players will be assigned these points by coaches based on their performance throughout the entire season, including their performance at the (in non-COVID years-mid-season and) end of season tournament. Coaches will submit the rankings immediately following the completion of the end of season tournament on Saturday, May 1st.
- For any players that have not played in their league-age division but have played up an older age division for the Spring Rec season, those players will be assigned points from each of the head coaches from their league-age division. For any coach that is not familiar with a play-up player, that coach will be asked to observe that player in a game or games and will be directed to discuss that player or players with their play-up head coach and other 10U head coaches in order to determine the appropriate point allocation.
- All players for each division will be ranked based on the total number of points received by all coaches.
- GOLD TEAM: The top 7 ranked players will automatically be on the Gold team, pending Board of Director review and approval. The Gold coach will finalize the remaining spots on his/her roster by selecting from the pool of players that have submitted an All-Star Interest and Commitment Form.
- SILVER TEAM: Once the Gold team is approved by the Board of Directors and the players have been notified and confirmed, the process will repeat for the Silver team. The top 7 remaining players are automatically on the Silver team, pending Board of Director review and approval. The Silver coach will select the remaining players for the team by selecting from the pool of players that have submitted an All-Star Interest and Commitment Form. Once the Silver team is approved by the Board of Directors the players will be notified and confirmed.
- If a third team is formed, this process will be repeated for that team.
8U All Star Showcase
While there are not All-Star tryouts for any division, we will hold an optional 8U All Star Showcase, which will allow all 8U players that want to be considered for All Star selection to showcase their skills to All Star Coaches. The 8U All Star Showcase will take place on Sunday, May 2nd at TBD time.
All Star Player Notification
All Star teams and players will be posted on the CAPO Website no later than 6:00am on Monday, May 3rd.
There is a significant time and financial commitment to participating in All Stars. Each team will set their own practice schedule, but you can expect at least 3 practices per week and up to 5 or more practices per week starting the week of May 9th in preparation for tournament play and a minimum of 3 per week once tournament play begins. The tournament schedule is listed on the All-Star Interest and Commitment Form.
Each team will play at least through their District tournament with the possibility of more tournaments after based on their performance.
Please see the All-Star Interest and Commitment Form for an itemized list of fees and expenses associated with participation in All Stars.